- WHAT: Along with millions of activists across the world, Sierra College joins
ONE BILLION RISING 2014. Similar to last year, this event is an orchestrated opportunity for students, staff and community members to stand in solidarity with the estimated one billion women and girls worldwide who have been victims of violence.
- WHY: ONE BILLION RISING began as a call to action based on the staggering statistic that 1 in 3 women on the planet will be beaten or raped during her lifetime. With the world population at 7 billion, this adds up to more than ONE BILLION WOMEN AND GIRLS.
- WHEN: On Thursday, February 13, 2014 at 12:00 pm until 12:30 pm, on V-Day's 16th anniversary, students, and staff on the Sierra College Rocklin Campus, will join activists, writers, thinkers, celebrities, and women and men across the world as we express their outrage, demand change, dance, and RISE in defiance of the injustices women suffer, demanding an end at last to violence against women and girls.
- WHERE: Student, staff, and community volunteers will gather on the campus Quad to gather Rise-up Informational cards and will then fan out across campus to hand out these cards in classrooms and on the grounds.
- WHO: Groups that will be on campus to help Sierra RISE-UP will be:
- My Sisters’ House
- Stand-Up Placer
- Bridget’s Dream
- Courage House of Auburn
- AAUW (American Association of University Women)
- Sierra College Athletic Teams
Immediately following the Rise-Up event, all are invited to gather in the Dietrich Theatre to attend the first of two stage performances of the Vagina Monologues, which begins at 12:30pm. http://www.vday.org/about/why-vday-started?gclid=CL6Q4evVxLwCFc2TfgodlFEAXQ#.UvpnfWJdXAk
For More Information
Rocklin Campus: Contact Kathleen Taylor at (916)660-8065 or email@example.com
For more information about “One Billion Rising”: http://www.onebillionrising.org/
For information about “V-Day” http://www.vday.org/about#.UvUCN2JdXAk