10 roles available: 5 women and 5 men. Come audition!
The Sierra College Drama Department will hold auditions on Monday, September 8 and Tuesday, September 9, 2014, for its fall production of the uproarious farcical comedy…Rumors by Neil Simon and directed by Scott Adams.
Rumors takes place in an upper class townhouse in Sneden's Landing, New York where the Deputy Mayor has just shot himself. Though only a flesh wound, four couples experience a severe attack of Farce!! Gathering for their tenth wedding anniversary, the host, Charley Brock lies bleeding in the other room and his wife, Myra is nowhere in sight. His lawyer, Ken and wife Chris must get the story straight before the other guests arrive. As the confusions and mis-communications mount, the evening spins off into classic farcical hilarity.
CHARACTERS (Parts available for 10 actors, 5 Men, 5 Women)
- KEN GORMAN – A well-to-do lawyer. Wealthy, but by no means pretentious. Takes charge of the situation. Married to Chris. Halfway through the show, a gunshot causes his temporary deafness.
- CHRIS GORMAN – Another lawyer, married to Ken. Beautiful, easily flustered. Frantically tries to maintain normalcy at the party. Has recently quit smoking, which drives her to drink a bit more.
- LENNY GANZ – A wealthy accountant, distraught over the recent destruction over his new car. Starts the show with an extreme case of whiplash. Intolerant of the gossipy-lifestyle that he is often involved in.
- CLAIRE GANZ – Lenny’s wife. Very concerned with appearances. Starts the play with a swollen lip. Likes to gossip.
- ERNIE CUSACK – a psychiatrist. Affable, smokes a pipe. Loves his wife very much. Tries to be as helpful as possible cooking the evening’s dinner.
- COOKIE CUSACK – has her own cooking show. Suffers from extreme back spasms. Loves her husband very much. A bit absent-minded at times.
- GLENN COOPER – A handsome man running for State Senate. Worried about his own reputation. Struggles with placating his wife, who is convinced he is having an affair (which he may or may not be).
- CASSIE COOPER – Glenn’s beautiful wife. Obsesses over her husbands’ relationships with other women. Quick to anger. Must rub her quartz crystal to calm herself down.
- OFFICER WELCH (M) – A city police officer having a rough night. Does not tolerate lying. Sees through the “classy” façade that these high-society types put up.
- OFFICER PUDNEY (F) – Welch’s partner. A strong but silent type.
Audition Date: Monday and Tuesday, September 8 and 9, 2014, 3:00pm for Sierra College students and by appointment for community members. Auditions held on a first-come, first-served basis. Auditions will take place in the Dietrich Theatre on the Sierra College Campus located at 5000 Rocklin Rd, Rocklin, CA 95677.
Enrolling in Rehearsal/ Performance Cast Class: Students at Sierra College interested in being cast should plan to enroll in Drma 23A, 23B, 23C or 23C (section choice depends on if you have already taken 23A, etc. previously. See prerequisites online at www.sierracollege.edu ) All students enrolled MUST attend mandatory first class on Monday, September 2 at 3:00pm.
Auditioners are encouraged to prepare a monologue from any published play that is no more than three minutes long. Please no teleplays, screenplays, skits, passages from novels, or song lyrics. Also, please no original writing. Monologues should best portray the actor's strengths and can be of any genre. This monologue must be memorized. It is requested that auditioners bring an 8x10 photo-headshot and resume of acting experience, if available, but this is not required.
- Callbacks (by invitation only): Wednesday, September 10, 2014 at 3:00pm. Auditioners who are called back will be asked to audition by way of cold readings from the script.
- Rehearsal Dates: September 11 through October 23, 2014, afternoons after 3:00pm (start times may vary). There will be one pick-up rehearsal on Wednesday, October 29 after 3:00pm (start time may vary).
- Performance Dates: Rumors runs two weekends from October 24 through November 2, 2014, Fridays and Saturdays at 8:00pm and Sundays at 2:00pm. There is one additional performance on Thursday, October 30, at 7:00pm. Performances will be held at the DietrichTheatre at Sierra College in Rocklin. For additional information, call 916-660-8036.
Workshops: In Advance of Auditions for Rumors and will be held Wednesday and Thursday, September 3 and 4, 2014 in the Dietrich Theatre at 3:30pm. Workshops will consist of audition preparation and cold readings techniques. All Sierra College students interested in auditioning for Rumors are encouraged to attend. Workshop presenters are Sierra College Theatre Professors Debra Hammond and Scott Adams.