Get Free One-on-One Writing Help in All Subjects
Improve your writing skills. Get feedback on your projects. Overcome writer’s block.
Our mission is simple: To offer free writing support for students at all stages of the writing process and to help them improve their writing skills.
We can assist with a variety of writing, including:
- Essays/writing assignments in all subjects
- Personal statements for scholarships and college application
- Resumes and cover letters
- Other writing needs
Students come to their appointments prepared with the writing assignment prompt and ready to discuss their ideas, questions, or drafts.
What We Do
We love helping students to engage in the writing process by encouraging them to take a deeper look at their writing.
We help students:
- learn how to outline, draft, and proofread their writing
- understand how to format their paper, cite their sources correctly, and how to better create polished academic writing
Our goal is to help students to improve themselves as writers.
What We Don’t Do
We don’t write, edit, or grade students’ papers for them.
What We Recommend
The best way to take advantage of the Writing Center is to come early and often. Many successful students make appointments soon after getting an assignment and, again, throughout the writing process.
How to Meet with Writing Center Staff
- Learn how to make a Writing Center appointment using Sierra Connect: [Watch video] [Read instructions]
- Appointments are online via Zoom or in-person at the Writing Center (LRC, second floor)
- Make an online or in-person appointment for 30-minutes or one-hour using your Sierra Connect account. View step-by-step instructions to help you schedule an appointment.
- If you have an online appointment with one of the Writing Center staff and you are on campus, you can access Zoom on a computer in the Writing Center and or a Reference Zoom Appointment Room in the Rocklin library. To do so, check in at the Circulation desk (LRC, second floor) to find out where to go.
- Drop-in time (without an appointment) is available at the Rocklin Campus Writing Center (LR, Second Floor), Monday – Thursday, 10 am – 2 pm.
Our ultimate goal is to empower your success and to help you become a self-reliant writer.Anna ha, writing center
To open the following PDFs, you need Adobe Reader®. If you need additional help, contact the Writing Center.
You are free to download or reproduce the following materials for educational purposes. These materials may not be published or otherwise reproduced for profit without written permission from Sierra College Writing Center.
Papers and Essays
- Basic Tips for Writing a Literary Analysis
- Guidelines for Writing a Literary Critical Analysis
- Paraphrasing and Quote Integration
- Research Papers
- Thesis Statement Basics
- MLA 9th Edition Handbook. Based on the MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers, 9th edition. Generally required in English and humanities courses, as well as other subjects.
- Using Figures in MLA format. How to include and cite images in an MLA-style paper.
- Creating an Annotated Bibliography in MLA format. How to create an annotated bibliography according to the MLA Handbook 9th edition (as well as other styles).
- APA Handbook. Based on the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, 7th edition. This format is generally required in psychology, social science, and some science courses.
- Using Figures in APA format. How to include and reference images, charts and tables in an APA-style paper.
- Chicago (and Turabian) Handbook. Based on A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations, 9th edition, and The Chicago Manual of Style, 17th edition. This format is required in some history courses.
- CSE Handbook. Based on Scientific Style and Format, 8th edition, and Writing Papers in the Biological Sciences, 6th edition. This format is required in some biology courses.
- Using Tables and Figures in CSE format. How to include and reference images, charts and tables in a CSE-styled paper.
- ASA Guide. Based on American Sociological Association Style Guide, 7th edition. This format is required in some sociology courses.
- JAS Guide. Based on Journal of Animal Science. This format is required in some agricultural science courses.
Formatting in Microsoft Word and Google Docs
- Indenting a Long Quotation in Microsoft Word. Format a long quotation in MLA, APA or Chicago Style for academic papers.
- Outlining in Microsoft Word. How to format a formal outline.
- Formatting an APA Paper in Microsoft Word. Setting up an academic paper in APA format.
- Creating a References list in APA format. Setting up a References list in APA format.
- Creating a Works Cited Page in Microsoft Word. Setting up a Works cited page in MLA format.
- Formatting an MLA Paper in Microsoft Word. Setting up an academic paper in MLA format.
- Formatting MLA in Google Docs. Setting up a paper in MLA format.
- Formatting a Chicago/Turabian (CMS) Paper in Microsoft Word. Setting up an academic paper in CMS format.
- Creating a Bibliography in Chicago/Turabian (CMS) format. Setting up a bibliography in CMS format.
- Creating a Literature Cited list in Microsoft Word. Setting up a Literature Cited list in CSE format.
The following writing websites and videos can help you write your papers and assignments. For additional help, visit the Writing Center.
Writing Labs and Guides
- Over 200 resources on:
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
- Professional writing
- The new approach to citing sources from the MLA Handbook, 8th Edition, 2016. Watch videos below on how to cite sources with MLA.
- The American Psychological Association (APA) popular style guidelines
- Chicago-Style Citation Quick Guide
- (The Purdue Online Writing Lab)
- Guides to formatting manuscripts, in-text citations and references page
- Length 4:30. A quick introduction to the major changes in the MLA Handbook
- Length 11:20. Many examples showing the logic of the new changes and to explore some of the most noticeable new details
Research Paper and MLA Video Series
- Length 7:35. Introduces the MLA Citation Style 8th Edition, explains when to cite sources, the different ways to use information in your paper and how to correctly format in-text citations.
- Length 15:24. The works cited list elements, format, punctuation and containers, quotations and titles.
- Length 12:33. How to use the MLA template to organize citation information and properly create MLA entries for cited works.