Whether you need help building an academic plan to earn an Associate Degree for Transfer, choosing and preparing for a career that best fits you, or need short-term, mental health counseling, our counselors are here for you. They provide academic, career, and personal counseling.
Counseling for New Students
We know that transitioning to college can be challenging. That’s why we require every new student to attend an online Career and Academic Planning (CAP) Session to help set you up for success.
During the CAP Session you will:
- Identify your Interest Area/program of study.
- Receive tools and resources to help you consider your career choices so your educational and career goals will be easier to determine
- Complete activities to prepare you for your first appointment with your counselor so you can begin creating your personalized MAP (My Academic Plan)
Start Your CAP Session
- Before you start your CAP session, you must accept our Terms and Conditions in mySierra under “My Next Steps.
- Log in to Canvas. If you would like to view the session on your smartphone, download the Sierra College app and click the Canvas tile to get started.
- Click on “CAP: Career and Academic Planning” on the Canvas Dashboard to start.
- Questions about CAP? Call Counseling at (916) 660-7400.
Types of counseling
- How to Earn Your Associate Degree – Steps to earn your degree
- Graduation Preparation – Check out the steps to graduation to ensure you’re on the right track to completing your degree or certificate
- Academic Renewal: Requirements and Filing a Petition– Qualify to remove classes with poor grades
- Academic Dismissal Letter – Received a dismissal letter but want to stay in school
- Advanced Placement Examination (AP) – AP credit applicability for Sierra, CSU and UC
- International Baccalaureate (IB) – Credit applicability for Sierra, CSU and UC
- College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) – CLEP credit applicability for Sierra, CSU and UC
Navigate the Market
- Career Exploration: Career Coach – Take a career assessment and explore possible careers and related majors.
Navigate Mental Health
Receive short-term personal care for mild-to-moderate personal life issues, family or other social concerns impacting you.
AFTER-HOURS AND CRISIS MENTAL HEALTH RESOURCES:
- Placer County Adult System of Care (916) 787-8860
- Sacramento County Mental Health Access Team (916) 875-1055
- Nevada County (530) 265-5811